Top 10 Best Online Colleges in Texas for 2022
Over the last few decades, college tuition across the nation has become pricier and less affordable for students. Given that most students will have to take out loans or find other routes to fund tuition, it’s more important than ever to find the most affordable ways to get a college education.
If you’re a student in the Lone Star State, you may be looking to find cheap online colleges in Texas that will give you access to top-tier education without breaking the bank. Luckily, there are a number of solid career paths and colleges to choose from to give you a high potential return on investment. This includes career paths like nursing and accounting. According to the Bureau of Labor Statistics (BLS), registered nurses in Texas earn an average salary of $74,540 per year, while accountants and auditors earn an average annual salary of $79,360. According to the BLS, general and operations managers in Texas earn an average salary of $121,270 per year.
If you’re a student in Texas who’s trying to balance affordability with opportunity, you can find insight into the costs of attending Texas online colleges, along with some options for the most affordable online schools below. This information will help you narrow down the options that fit your needs and get started on your path to higher education.
Top Colleges in Texas 2022
|1||The University of Texas at El Paso||El Paso, TX|
|2||University of Houston-Downtown||Houston, TX|
|3||Lamar University||Beaumont, TX|
|4||The University of Texas of the Permian Basin||Odessa, TX|
|5||Sam Houston State University||Huntsville, TX|
|6||Tarleton State University||Stephenville, TX|
|7||LeTourneau University||Longview, TX|
|8||Texas Tech University||Lubbock, TX|
|9||Texas A & M University-Commerce||Commerce, TX|
|10||Concordia University Texas||Austin, TX|
In-state tuition cost in Texas
In-state residents in Texas pay, on average, about $5,180 per year for tuition, including community college tuition. Tuition for four-year public institutions in Texas currently hovers near $8,231 per year, while private institutions will run in-state students about $24,040 in tuition per academic year.
Institutions like Rice University and Baylor University cost about $50,000 for an entire four-year degree. At a cost of about $12,500 per year, the more renowned institutions come with a steep tuition price compared to other in-state universities and colleges offering the same programs.
Your books and supplies, which should be factored into the total costs, will run you about $2,833 per year in Texas on average.
Out-of-state tuition cost in Texas
The average out-of-state tuition cost for Texas’ public universities is about $18,577 per year. The average price for books and supplies is about $2,833 per year in this state.
Average cost of room and board in Texas
Room and board costs in Texas will depend on whether you live on campus or off of campus. In some cases, off-campus housing is the most affordable option — but you may be required by your school or program to live on campus during your first year.
In general, on-campus housing costs average about $13,340 per year in Texas. The price for off-campus housing is slightly higher in this state, with an average price of about $13,764 per year. The real cost of off-campus housing will depend highly on the area of the state you attend college in.
Professional Organizations for Students in Texas
Students can join professional organizations to learn about their discipline’s subfields and careers. Many professional organizations offer student membership rates and scholarship opportunities, and associations may host student chapters at large schools. Members often gain access to career resources, networking events, and continuing education, and organizations usually advocate for students and professionals. Online students in Texas can choose from national and state organizations, such as those below.
- Association of Texas Professional EducatorsMembers own and govern this professional association for Texas educators. ATPE collaborates with all stakeholders to improve Texas public education. The association serves Texas public school teachers, administrators, and staff. ATPE offers legal protection, advocacy, leadership opportunities, and educational tools.
- Texas Psychological AssociationThis professional association comprises more than 1,000 Texas psychologists and graduate students. TPA advocates for legislation and regulations that ensure high-quality mental healthcare and education. Members receive access to professional development and networking opportunities, peer consultations, professional discounts, and relevant publications.
- Texas Board of Professional Engineers and Land SurveyorsThis state board oversees examination and licensure of engineering and land surveillance professionals. The board also offers educational resources, including webinars, publications, and relevant news.
- Career & Technical Association of TexasThe leading association in the career and technical education field, CTAT provides various learning programs and career opportunities for vocational and technical students. CTAT fosters instructional partnerships with Texas industries and businesses, provides online networking opportunities, and offers technical assistance.
Scholarships for Students in Texas
If you’re looking for scholarship opportunities in Texas, these can include:
- Reward amount: $1,000-$8,000 across four years
- Requirements: Any female student who is pursuing a bachelor or graduate degree in an ABET-accredited engineering program
- Deadlines: Varies according to each specified scholarship/grant; applications open on March 1 of every year
- Reward amount: Varies depending upon the student’s financial needs and their institution’s financial aid office
- Requirements: Any student who demonstrates financial need who has also registered for Selective Service
- Deadlines: March 15
- Reward amount: Varies; the award depends on the student’s financial needs
- Must be a U.S. college student
- Must be enrolled full-time at an accredited institution pursuing either of the following primary care degrees:
- Nurse practitioner
- Nurse midwife
- Physician’s assistant
- Application submission deadline: May 11
- First day of class deadline: September 30
Best Online Colleges and Universities in Texas for 2022
The University of Texas at El Paso